Welcome to First Grade!
I am in my 8th year of teaching. I have 6 years experience teaching kindergarten and 1 year of 7th and 8th grade science and math. This is my 1st year teaching 1st grade!
Over the next 6 weeks we will:
- We will continue to review the characteristics of fiction and non-fiction books which includes the author, illustrator, characters, setting, problem, etc. Students will continue to work with long and short vowels, as well as blends. Students will continue to read just fit books with our goal to read at higher reading levels. We will not only use reading strategies to figure out unknown words but we will also practice retelling the story. Students will continue to practice their rainbow words and sight words.
- During writing we will continue to write narratives and informational texts which include a beginning, three details, and an ending.
- Students will learn and explore addition facts to 20.
- Students will review the five senses. We will make observations and inferences to explore sound and light waves.
- Students will discuss, explore, and research communities. We will also learn to create maps.
Students will receive the following:
- Lunch 11:50-12:30
- Physical Education M/F 2:25-255
- Technology T/Th 1:30-2:10
- Science and Engineering T/Th 2:20-3:00
Our class has listed projects on DonorsChoose.org. We recently had a $750 project fully funded! Our classroom has received 80 leveled books, book boxes, and activities to support their learning to reading. Thank you to all of our donors!